Has your life been changed because of God’s amazing grace? I have seen countless people dramatically changed as a result of experiencing God’s grace.
The Bible records the changed lives of the adulterous Samaritan woman, Zacchaeus, the Roman centurion at the crucifixion, the Philippian jailer, among many others. Of all the lives that have been changed throughout history probably none has been more dramatic than that of Saul of Tarsus. Saul was a bitter enemy of the cause of Christ. He shared in his own words that he was the “the worst of sinners.” And, yet God used this “sinner” to be one of the greatest evangelists and theologians the world has ever known.
We read in 1 Timothy 1:14, “. . . and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.” Grace is used in the original Greek language to convey the idea of a free gift. It has at its root the concept of joy. As it is a delight to receive something you don’t deserve, it is even more exciting to give something to someone in this way. The theological meaning of grace speaks of God’s loving forgiveness, which he gives freely to those deserving only condemnation and judgment, and transfers them from death to life without any worthiness on their part and based on nothing they have done or failed to do.
Friends, God’s grace has been poured out on you! If you have received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, you have been given the gift of abundant, victorious life. May we all celebrate that amazing grace and give it away in our relationships with others!!
Pastor Glen will continue the sermon series, Ephesians: Our Identity and Purpose! His sermon this Sunday is “Giving Grace” based upon Ephesians 4:29. Please read this text in preparation for worship.
We will celebrate the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. We encourage you to examine yourself before receiving the Sacrament per 1 Corinthians 11:27-32.
Adult Sunday School
Our Adult Sunday school class will meet this Sunday immediately after worship in the large Sunday school room. Please join Deborah Kleinschuster and others for a wonderful time around God’s Word!! We will be studying Mark 11: Making and Entrance! Please bring your Bible!!
Fall Church Picnic
Our Fall Church Picnic is quickly approaching!! September 11 at Lake Forest Lodge (AKA McGann’s Cabin) – 21 Page Hollow Lane, Lyndhurst, Virginia (2 miles past the Sherando Lake entrance). You are invited to bring a side dish or a dessert to share, as well as lawn chairs. The church is providing chicken, water and coffee. Please sign-up on the sheet in our welcome center!
Fall Women’s Bible Study
Join other ladies for a journey through a Bible study on Gideon with Priscilla Shirer . . . a 7 week Bible study – September 27th through November 8th . . . Every Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. in the Adult Sunday school room. Please contact Marty Porter (540.471-2619) for more information.
Men’s Bible Study
After a summer break, our Men’s Bible Study will be kicking off again on September 13th. We meet from 7:00 to 8:00 a.m. at Panera Bread in the Community Room. We will continue our study of James. Come on out men!!
Tithes and Offerings
An offering box is available when you enter or exit the sanctuary. Additionally, online giving opportunities are available on the website.
July Financial Report
Offerings: Monthly: $16,821.96 YTD: $116,288.57
Expenses: Monthly: $14,438.34 YTD: $106,870.95
We have also received monies designated for our capital campaign and building fund. In July we received $2,930.84 for restricted giving and $2,215.00 in our capital campaign.
Support Hope Community Church by choosing us as your Amazon Smile charity. Simply login to Amazon. In the upper left corner, Click Amazon Smile. If you are supporting a charity already, you will see that name. Click the dropdown arrow. Click “Change Charity”. Search for “Hope Community Church Waynesboro”. Click and select.
Prayers Requests From Chris Haynes (missionary in Prague):
- UNIVERSITY ENGLISH CONVERSATION CLASSES. Pray for the three students from English conversation classes who have been meeting individually with me. Pray especially that the Lord will offer opportunities to share Christ with these students. Two have started attending my student group and gone to church with me. Another is reading a Tim Keller book with me. Their names are: Vlad, Honza, and Jaroslav. The English conversation classes at the university will start again in October. I will likely be teaching 4-5 classes of this outreach ministry sponsored by Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ).
- PRAYER FOR MY LANGUAGE TUTORS as I continue studying twelve modern languages weekly with tutors. Pray that the Lord opens the door to talk about Christ, especially. in closed countries. Pray especially for the safety of my Ukrainian tutor Aleks, my Hindi tutor Vikas, and my Urdu teacher “Mahmoud.
- PRAY FOR MY CHRISTIAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN BELARUS – Specifically Zachar, Krystsina and Sergei as the Belarus dictator fiercely strikes out at perceived political opponents. Pray that Zachar will be released from prison.
- UKRAINE WAR REFUGEES – 330,000 Ukrainian refugees have come to the Czech Republic since the beginning of the war in late February, with about 100,000 settling in Prague. Please pray as the churches here seek to minister to them.
- ORDINATION: I have begun the process to be ordained as a minister of Word and Sacrament in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC).
- Cans of ginger ale
- Small individual packs of pretzels and crackers (or some kind of small salty snack for patients)
- Small pieces of individually wrapped chocolates
- K-cup iced tea & regular coffee (in small packages – we don’t go through Costco size quickly enough)
Missions Team is active keeping in touch with our missionaries and other ministries. Please keep updated! You can visit our website and go to the Outreach Page.
Bible Study Fellowship
Our Weekly Prayer meeting is held at our church facility each Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. We invite you to join with us as we seek the Lord’s face!
Arnie Doyle (9/4); Harold Coiner ((9/6); Aileen Wright (9/9); Kristen Holman (911); Pat Layne (9/13); Russell Fisher (9/14); Kerry Keyes (9/16); Christopher Haynes (9/24); Dede Hamilton & Marge Sass (9/26)